The traditional pairing of rich tomato-based sauce, savoury meatballs, and whole wheat spaghetti is presented in this recipe for Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Meatballs in Pasta Sauce. Grated Parmesan increases the flavours and provides a spark to the addition of chilli flakes. To suit your taste, increase or decrease the amount of spice.
- 500g ground chicken or a mix of chicken or pork
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 350g whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups pasta sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Prepare the Meatballs: In a mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, egg, minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined. Shape the mixture into meatballs, about 1-1.5 inches in diameter.
- Cook the Meatballs: Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Ensure they're cooked through. Remove the meatballs from the skillet and set aside.
- Cook the Whole Wheat Spaghetti: In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the whole wheat spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside, reserving a little pasta water.
- Prepare Pasta Sauce: In the same skillet used for meatballs, pour in the pasta sauce. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Add the cooked meatballs into the sauce and let them simmer together for about 5-7 minutes.
- Combine Pasta with Sauce: Add the cooked whole wheat spaghetti to the skillet with the sauce and meatballs. Toss gently to coat the spaghetti evenly with the sauce. If needed, add a splash of reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce and help it cling to the pasta better.
- Garnish and Serve: Divide the Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Meatballs and Pasta Sauce among serving plates. Sprinkle with chilli flakes for a hint of spice and grated Parmesan cheese for extra flavour. Serve immediately and enjoy this hearty and comforting dish!