Mac & Cheese is a firm favourite in our household. There's pasta, there's cheese - it's hard not to like this eternal combination! But here's our recipe of this classic with a spicy kick and roasted vegetables to make it into an even more sumptuous and wholesome family dinner!
Here's what you need to make our version of a spicy Mac and cheese with roasted veg.
100 grams Conchiglie Wholewheat pasta from Donna Pastaia
1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese (Old Hill)
1/2 cup grated Gouda cheese (Old Hill)
1 cup diced capsicum
1cup broccoli florets
3-4 garlic cloves -chopped
1 habanero pepper - chopped
0.5 tbsp flour
3/4th cup milk
1 tbsp OilS
Salt to taste
1. Lightly coat the broccoli florets and capsicum with olive oil and salt and place in the oven (pre heated to 180°c) for about 15 minutes until lightly charred and tender
2. Place water to boil for pasta. In the meantime, in another pan fry the garlic and habanero peppers in olive oil for a couple of minutes. To this add the flour and let it cook for another minute..finally add the milk (make sure it's hot milk to avoid a lumpy bechamel) and whisk together for another minute before removing from heat. Add salt at this stage, to taste.
3. Add pasta to salted boiling water and let it cook until al-dente (check cooking instructions)
4. To the warm bechamel from step 2, add Cheddar and Gouda and lightly mix (reserve some cheese to sprinkle at the top later).
5. Add pasta and oven roasted vegetables to this cheese mix, stir gently until combined.
6. Place the cheese pasta in a baking dish, sprinkle with cheese(and breadcrumbs - optional, if you like a crunchy crust) and place in the oven(200°c) for another 4-5 minutes to create a beautiful golden cheesy crust.
Done! Go ahead, try this out. We promise you'll be licking your plates at the end. It is that good!!